Saturday, December 25, 2010

Holiday Cheer

Another four AM morning, but without the compensation of my usual seven hours sleep or a beautiful dawn sky. The air this morning, too, carries a damp bite that—in spite of my many fleecy layers—seeps into my joints and limits my time out on the porch.

My coffee yesterday may have been free of grounds, but in the end that bore little indication of how my day was. I spent most of it in bed with a heating pad, seeking but not finding comfort and rest. My wife worked yesterday morning, but got the afternoon off for the holiday. She, too, was tired so we took a nap until it was time to have dinner at her parents’ across town.

Even after that additional couple of hours of rest, I was in no fit condition to go with her to dinner. She went, though, which in a way made me feel better; I would have felt guilty had she stayed home just to be with me. But at the same time, I’d hardly seen her all day and I was feeling selfish. Not that it would have made any sense for her to have stayed with me anyway, since I was crabby and would sooner or later pass out.

I can’t remember what we’re doing this morning, if anything. She was just getting to sleep as I was rising, so unless her alarm goes off I’m not waking her. I know we’re having dinner with her family, but I have forgotten what time. Probably early. It’s a good thing we have so little to prep. Perhaps I’ll have time for a nap before we go. One good thing about being a social isolationist by nature is that I won’t be fielding well-wishing holiday calls during naptime.

The idea of this blog still surprises me. I hold no grand hopes for its future; in fact, I strongly suspect absolutely nothing will come of it. I’ve not told anyone about it and only a few people know I’d even been considering it. I don’t think I will tell anyone, either. I’d like to just let it be and see what happens without my intervention.

The idea of blogging in general seems unnatural to me, but at the same time appealing in its anonymity. Those who know me well and stumble upon this would not be challenged to identify me. So in that regard, even the anonymity is limited. But who else would be interested in reading my thoughts? In spending their time on the mundane things that eat up my time and attention? I’m curious.

No comments:

Post a Comment