Thursday, March 1, 2012

Snow Day

The dry winter has broken with a blanket of snow on the ground this first morning of March. The weather forecasters have been predicting it for about a week now, and the air has carried that biting edge that usually foretells the fluffy white precipitation. But so far, only a few fat flakes have fallen and not stuck.
Some folks go crazy for a white Christmas. I enjoy a white birthday, especially since mine falls at the end of March. When I was a child and we lived in the foothills of central California, I’d get a white birthday every once in a while. My sister, whose birthday is in mid-January, never got this coveted birthday surprise. Which made those few times I awoke to a blanket of white on the ground on my birthday all the sweeter, even though it meant canceling whatever plans may have been made for my day.

Today I have no plans, just some errands that need to be run. It’s also my day to exercise. I think. Keeping up with an everyday routine is difficult enough with Lyme disease, but these every-other-day tasks may prove to be my undoing. I could be organized and write it down in my calendar, but I’m currently going through a disorganized slump, where I forget I even have a calendar and mislay my various lists of things to do. I’ll switch into high gear soon, if my past experience is anything to go by, and an aberrant wind of physical stamina will blow through me and I’ll have cleaned off my desk and organized my living spaces in a single, exhausting afternoon. Also based on past experience, I’ll probably do myself some physical damage and be laid up in bed for a week afterward. Perhaps it would be better to go at it in small chunks, but that isn’t the way this game seems to work. It’s feast or famine where my physical and mental strength and focus are concerned and I stop only when my body makes me.

I am a bit disappointed, though, that I slept through the snow fall. I hope it snows more today while I’m awake to enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment